Monday, March 7, 2011

There's Music in the Air!

Texture:  I decided to try a new series, Across the Meadow, emphasizing texture.  Goal: Arresting texture, simple yet elegant high-horizon composition. If the surface is going to be complex, let's simplify the design.  I gessoed the panel pretty thickly and pressed into it some lace from my grandmother, as well as some grid materials from various cast-off athletic bags.  Let the gesso firm up a bit, and then pull the items out of it before they're stuck.  Let dry.  Next drizzle acrylic ink over it to fill in the puddles.  Then paint very dry-brush over to draw out the texture patterns.  It is like having written in invisible ink, and then making your text reappear!  I love texture.  But it doesn't mean I don't have to compose.  Here I've tried a high horizon and broken the meadow into passages that are different in value and temperature.  Green shows off beautifully if you push it cooler and then push it warmer. 

There's Music in the Air! is 8x8" Acrylic media on panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment